Thursday 18 October 2007

Panel

Ok, now on to the exciting bit!

I finally (after what feels like weeks of waiting!) attended the panel meeting yesterday for discussion of my approval. I was so nervous a whole 2 days before the meeting so u can imagine what I was like on the day. It was held in a beautiful location and the panel members were all very nice, but that really didn't do much to calm my nerves.

I met the chair person when I arrived and waited with my link worker (from the agency, the lady who had carried out all the homestudy meetings) while the panel prepared questions. This took them some time but they finally called us through to the meeting room. After introductions, I was asked a series of questions that had arisen from my Form F (homestudy) report, which took quite a long time to get through and were all very in depth and personal. Not at all like the 'so why do you want to foster question' I was expecting (although this did come up towards the end anyway!)

When they had finished questioning, we were asked to leave the room, and after 5 minutes or so the chair person came out meet with us again. There was a very anxious moment when he walked in the room and I waited and held my breath trying to guess what he was going to say... and then he held out his hand and said congratulations!!! Phew! I couldn't stop grinning!

The panel were impressed (with my nervous babbling?! I don't think so!!), were sure I had a lot to offer and had agreed that I would be suitable to foster one child, or two children if siblings, aged 4 to 7, either long or short term!!! Wow, I still can't believe it! The age range is only fixed for a short time, and will be reviewed after I've had children placed for a while. Now I just can't wait to hear I've been matched with a child/children, and get to start what I've worked so hard to achieve.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Congratulations! All your hard work is about to pay off! I am so proud of your accomplishments and getting to this point!

This panel sounds like a LOT of stress and you did it! I'm not sure we have to do anything like this. Your system seems so much more in depth than our's, well our's so far anyway!

Can't wait to hear of your first placement!

BlessedWithDaughters said...

Congratulations! That's great news!

Anonymous said...

hello Emily,

I clicked the link on babynamesworld.com & I think I'm going to keep up with reading your blog! It's very interesting, so thanks for sharing the story!!

And... congratulations!!!