Tuesday 10 July 2007

'No' from Social Services

Shortly after posting my first entry, I received a phone call from Social Services.

Despite a national shortage and current drive to recruit more foster carers...

'Helen Clarke, recruitment campaign co-ordinator said: ‘The UK is currently short of a staggering 10,000 foster carers and the Fostering Network is encouraging people during these two-weeks to think about fostering. Anyone can apply to be a foster carer as long as they have what it takes to care for children separated from their own families.’' (The Fostering Network, 2005)

Despite my skills and my suitability and my enthusiasm...

Despite the fact that I have a spare room with plenty of space for a child or children...

...they have decided that the spare bedroom would be seen as T's room (she shares with me and will do for the next couple of years) and they cannot proceed with my application. I explained that I would be happy to do respite/short term care for as long as the spare room is available. But it's still a no. I wonder if they're thinking of all the children who need a home when they make these kinds of decisions.

No wonder there's a shortage of carers.

It's a good job I've decided to go ahead with the agency and that they are happy with my current situation. I think I might just take a look at 3 bedroom houses though, just in case!

1 comment:

John J. Kaiser said...

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Keep your head up and push on.

http://totaltransformation.wordpress.com