Tuesday 17 July 2007

Assessment meeting #1

Wow, what a day! Things are really happening now!

I had a meeting with the social worker from the agency to start the assessment process and it went really well. She asked a lot of in depth stuff about my childhood, my parents and family etc. It felt a bit funny at first telling this woman who I'd only met once before stuff I wouldn't normally discuss with a stranger, but I think I did ok! They have to gather all this information to see how past events impacts on your own parenting style and I totally understand where they're coming from.

The meeting was 2 hours long and she left me with a whole stack of homework - forms that need to be completed on my upbringing, major events in my life, my relationships with friends and family (inc my support network) and detailed notes on my education, employment, interests and personality. I started them as soon as she left and I've hardly scratched the surface... luckily I have a week before our next meeting to get them completed!

Well, the good news from today is:

* the social worker still thinks I'll make a good foster parent :)
* she was very impressed with how knowledgable I am of fostering and the application process
* we have the next three meetings booked, and will be halfway thru the assessment by early August!! (I couldn't believe this, I thought it would take much longer)
* I could be approved sooner than I thought (more Oct/Nov than in the new year as I expected)
* two out of three of my references have been returned
* the major illness in my family won't impact on my application (from info I'd read on the net, I was worried they would say take some time out and apply later on)
* the two children (a brother (8) and sister (4) pair) who I spotted on a website and thought could be a great match for my family might actually be a possibility as things are progressing so quickly.

I still have a training course to complete, which hopefully will be in September.

Also, I spoke to the social worker about the possibility of moving to a larger, more child friendly home. It won't affect my application, apart from the fact that the health and safety check will have to be redone at the new property (which will probably prove to be safer as I have a couple of possible hazzards here which are out of my control). So I'm now looking for suitable properties and might be moving soon!

No comments: