Friday 15 August 2008

Child Protection training

I went to my first training session through my foster agency today.

I had a good time, I really enjoyed meeting the other foster carers and I learned a lot - not really much on the Child Protection side of things as I've done that training many times before, but lots of stuff about social services and foster agencies that I didn't know.

The manager of the agency was there and mentioned a referral they'd had for me - two school aged children - but the call she was waiting for never came, and it was another false alarm.

I also found out that many social workers take their holidays during school holidays... apparently this is the reason the agency haven't had many referrals. It makes sense, as the two social workers I've been trying to contact about two (seperate) children I want to be considered for (for a long term placement) are both out of the office until early September. I just wish the agency had thought of this and mentioned it to me before I ended all of my childminding contracts - I could've had 6 extra weeks of steady income!

But oh well, at least I've had a lovely relaxing summer, and I'm now very prepared for my foster kids when they get here :D

No comments: